Of Fireflies in Jars
Pony was quiet for a while and he stared at her. It felt like a slap in the face really .

"I tried, Karen. I really tried. You don't know the world as well as you think. But you want this. Fine." He went to grab his stuff quickly and her copy of Jenny's cart key. "You make your decisions. You don't want me to need you and you don't need me? Your mistakes are your own. " There were tears in the corners of his eyes and his voice tremored but he managed to steady it and wipe his eyes.

"I dont' want you to do this, but you don't want baby steps. You plunge into whatever hell you make for yourself." He turned towards the door.
He hurt her more deeply than he realized and she looked at him with a crumpled face because he didn't want to see what was right in front of his face; that she had grown up and was wanting to unfurl her wings like a butterfly. She never cried in front of him, not that she cried very much at all, but she didn't care. She stumbled out of the bed, pulled on whatever rumpled clothing she had and turned on him, saying ever so quietly, "If that is how ye feel, then I'll be leavin'." She wasn't in a good state to leave, but she would rather be anywhere else than with her brother. But she didn't leave, she wobbled forward and her head pressed against the frame of the door.
"Don't be daft! I'm already leaving. Get back to bed and stop the tears. You're my sister and I love you so it hurts to see you be this way. I only wanted three things from you: not this town, no doctors, and don't let a man touch you before marriage or at least an engagement ring. You be broken two already out of all the millions of choices you could have. You think I should be happy? I am as happy as you would be if I demanded you stayed with the job." He gave her a pained glare and walked out, slamming the door behind him.