Phantoms in the Fog
The bog hag…oh…

Lily wasn’t the sharpest creature, but she was able to put two and two together quickly enough and realize…there had been no bog hag. It had been just a very muddy, mucky, grass bespattered footman, and she had been something of a fool. Once Sean had finished his explanations, she took matters into her own hands and said firmly, ”I’m quite alright now, Mr. Callahan. You may put me down.” Which he did, and probably glad to do so. He did not seem the type of man – such as those burly heroes as Lily had so admired in her novels – who could really hope to carry a full grown woman for miles.

She looked around, as much as she could in the mist and the dark, and she realized now her own stupidity and recklessness. She was only a bit muddied up the front, but Mr. Callahan had fallen right into the bog, and was no doubt wet through, under all that muck. It was quite inclement enough to have him frozen clear through, if they did not get him inside somewhere and changed into dry things. But she was as clueless as he as to which direction to walk to get them back to the track that led to the road. They could wander for hours and simply be moving further away from their goal, or be going right round in circles! What a cock up!

Lily closed her eyes and cast her mind back, trying to recall the words of her parents, her grandparents, other villagers who had spoken often enough of the treacheries of this trackless place. Something was trying to break through – niggling at the edges of her memory – some…sound…some…

Her eye flew open and she grabbed Sean’s hand firmly. ”This way, Mr Callahan. Mind ‘ee step where I do. There’s a beck nearby. ‘Ee can just about ‘ear it. ‘Tis over ‘ere – once we find it, we’ll just follow it t’road, see?”
The footman was grateful to place her. While Lily was light, she was still an adult woman and thus heavy for his arms that were not used to such heavy lifting. He carefully placed her down in the grasses and looked to her before looking around them. It was the moors and mist, he saw nothing to give any clue to where they were or where they should have been heading. It made his heart drop that they could wander and end up a body found in the bog like so many or even worse, the ones who disappear.

Suddenly the lady had a clue. He perked up at her as she mentioned the water. He listened carefully and his mud crushed lips stretched into a huge grin. "Oh that is wonderful! You are a true genius, my lady! Let us go then. I need to get you home so you can warm and clean up."

He shivered and his teeth began to chatter. He was chilled to the very bone so he knew he needed to warm up as well. Still, he didn't want to mention his own condition. He'd been very well taught to worry about his master and then any ladies in quick succession.

"Let us go."